1972 Paul Luke Custom CC Motorsailer
Yacht price :
This Paul Luke built Sparkman and Stephens designed center cockpit ketch rigged motor sailor is a lucky vessel. Her current owner of 19 years did an extensive re-fit a year after purchase and has maintained her to the Nines since. While not hugely upgraded replacements and improvements have been made when appropriate and he has been fastidious in his care of her
- Paul Luke
- Custom CC Motorsailer
- En Route, FL, US
- Available for sale in U.S. waters:
- Vessel Name:
- Boat Type:
- Hull Material:
- Hull Type:
- Hull Color:
- Dark Blue
- Flag of Registry:
Dimensions & Weight
- 59 ft - 17.98 meter
- 58 ft 10 in - 17.93 meter
- 15 ft 6 in - 4.72 meter
- Draft - max:
- 12 ft 9 in - 3.89 meter
- Bridge Clearance:
- 67 ft - 20.42 meter
- Dry Weight:
- 63000 lbs
- Detroit Diesel
- Cruise Speed:
- 9 MPH - 7.82 KTS
- 1300 MI
- Joystick Control:
- Engine Type:
- Drive Type:
- Direct Drive
- Fuel Type:
- 150 (Individual), 150 (combined)
- Max Speed:
- Fuel Tank:
- 500 gallons - 2 tank(s)
- Fresh Water Tank:
- 600 gallons - 2 tank(s)
- Holding Tank:
- 50 gallons - 1 tank(s)
While set up for spacious "plenty of elbow room and plenty of storage" cruising for two couples NOTLUF could accommodate up to nine if desired in a center cockpit raised deck salon configuration. Of note her raised salon with large fixed windows provides both an abundance of natural light but easy viewing outside from sitting positions at the dining settee and port settee. Throughout she is an extremely bright and airy yacht finished "Herreshoff Style" with varnished teak trim on white flat panels and varnished teak and holly cabin soles. There is an abundance of natural light and ventilation with 12 opening ports and 4 large hatches with screens and 4 Dorade vents as well as 6 large fixed windows or ports in the raised deck salon. If natural ventilation is insufficient she is fitted with revers cycle (heats & cools) air conditioning as well as a Luke fireplace in the Salon. Headroom is 6'-6" or better throughout.
Starting forward is the Forward Stateroom with a "double " berth to starboard and single to port with drawers and lockers below each berth and full length shelf above. forward of the berths are hanging lockers and then on deck access via the fwd. "dog house". A day head and private head for the forward stateroom is aft and to port with separate stall shower, porcelain sink and electric W.C. plumbed via a Y valve to the holding tank.
Next aft is the spacious Galley with granite counter tops. The Galley is an L-Shape outboard to starboard with additional counter space, pantry cupboard, drawers and other storage inboard on centerline. There are 2 large Vertifrigo refrigeration drawers as well as a large stand alone freezer compartment below the Salon sole. Currently dry storage there is a large heavily insulated box of several cubic feet and outboard from which freezer plates have been removed converting the space to dry storage which they have preferred. There is extensive storage for dry goods in several lockers and drawers. Cooking is handled off the 3 burner Luke gimbaled propane stove with oven with additional larger bulkhead mount oven above while re-heats are handled in the GE microwave oven. Large deep single basin stainless steel sink with H&C pressure water and manual fresh water.
Up 2 steps to the spacious Salon featuring an over 7' L-settee to starboard with pedestal table for dining. The table drips to form a filler converting this to a generous double berth. There is voluminous storage behind the seat backs as well as some under the settee. Storage is similarly arranged under and behind the 6'-6" settee that converts to a berth which is to port. The aforementioned Luke fireplace is at the bulkhead forward and to port while an aft facing Navigation Center is aft and to port. Forward and to starboard is a locker for foul weather gear and then outboard space for the yachts entertainment equipment. In addition to the storage within the settees there is extensive dry storage below the salon as well as the house battery bank
Up 4 steps to the Center Cockpit with centerline helm and bench seats P&S and aft, storage under the side benches. Side deck access/egress to the side decks is gracious with hinged doors allowing easy transit.
4 steps down to the private Master Stateroom with large double berth to starboard and single to port with deep lockers with shelves outboard, drawers and lockers below and in a bureau on centerline aft. Additional drawer storage may be found just forward of the starboard berth and then a large hanging locker.
The Master Head is forward and to port of the stateroom with separate shower area, electric flush W.C., vanity with porcelain sink. Walk in access to the well insulated engine compartment is forward and to starboard.
Throughout this custom S&S Ketch is a bright and airy vessel and simply comfortable to be onboard. The interior like the exterior has been fastidiously maintained by the owners.
• Chelsea brass clock & barometer
• Emerson TV and DVD player 2012
• Pioneer AM/FM/CD stereo with speakers in salon & cockpit 2011
• Salon curtains 2014
• Salon upholstery 2012
• Hela 32 volt turbo fans in each cabin
SAILS AND RIGGING:
Keel stepped double spreader main and single spreader mizzen masts finished with Awlgrip in 2000. The mainmast has an I dimension of 65' (height above water) not including the head gear; all standing rigging is 1X19 stainless steel wire.
• Storm trysail track on mainmast
• Navtech hydraulic boom vang
• Harken roller furling for jib/genoa
• Profurl roller furling for staysail
• 2 Barient #32ST 2 speed electric primaries adjacent to helm
• Barient #28ST 2 speed electric on house top in cockpit for main and staysail sheets and main halyard
• 3 Barient #28ST 2 speed winches on main mast for jib/genoa, gennaker, & staysail halyards
• 2 Barient #28 2 speed running back winches on side decks adjacent to cockpit (running backs were found unnecessary for current owners use and have been removed)
• 3 Barient #17ST single speed winches on mizzen for halyard, sheet, and mizzen staysail halyard, all accessible from the cockpit
• 1 Barient #24 2 speed mainsail furling line winch
• Harken Battcar system for man & mizzen
• Harken offshore tracks for mainsheet and self tending staysail
• Lazy Jacks for main & mizzen
• Sobstad fully battened main 1991 with Jiffy Reefing
• Sobstad fully battened mizzen 1991
• Sobstad self tending staysail 1991
• 165% 1.5 oz gennaker with snuffer 1991
• Manchester 105% jib highcut 1991
• Manchester storm jib
• Manchester storm trysail
• New stackpacks for main and mizzen 2014
The use of the yacht is such that the owner has largely used her for cruising north and south and then limited sailing in the Bahamas and Maine once in location and has primarily sailed her "jib & jigger" that being mizzen, staysail and jib.
• Garmin 4208 color GPS/Plotter charts for US eastern seaboard & Bahamas
• B&G Hydra display for depth and water temp.
•B&G wind point & speed
• Datamarine depthj
• Simrad AP 35 Autopilot
• Danforth 6" Constellation magnetic compass serviced 2014
Nav. Station Electronics:
• Furuno monochromatic 48 mile 4 kw radar display
• B&G Hydra 330 multi display
• Icom M412 VHF with DSC 2014
• Furuno FS 1501 single side band
GM-Detroit 4-71 fresh water cooled 150 hp 4 cylinder diesel turns a 4 bladed propeller and shows 5288 hours as of 9/10/15. The walk in separate water tight compartment engine room has 5'-6" headroom accessed from the master stateroom and houses most of the mechanical equipment. A work bench with vice to starboard provides space for easy onboard maint. and service work.
• Morse engine controls
• Fireboy automatic engine space fire suppression
• Dual Racor fuel filters
• Drive saver
• Edson wheel steering
• High capacity Edson electric bilge pump via manifold to 4 compartments 2005
• Edson manual high capacity bilge pump
• Main engine & generator raw water intakes can be crossed over to bulge pumping manifold
• Macerator pump
• 3 Cruise Air Reverse Cycle Air Conditioning units 6,000 BTU each for the fwd 9,000 for the aft cabins and 16,000 for the main salon and galley
• Reverso oil change kit for engine, genset and transmission
• Sea Recovery 400 GPD water maker currently pickled
• Notable amount of spares and routine mechanical "consumables" e.g. fuel filters coolant etc.
• Shaft lock for prop shaft
• Emergency start cross over
• Heart Tank Tender for fuel, water, and holding tanks.
• Electric W.Cs (heads) • Allcraft "bus heater" for cockpit 2014
• Engine and steering pedestal re-wired 2014
Wired for 32 volt house service and 12 volt engine start. AC loads are handled via 220 volt with a step down transformer to 110 volt service . A Northern Lights 12kw generator showing 3112 hours as of date of listing 9/10/15 handles the AC service when off the dock while a Heart Freedom 1800 watt inverter handles light loads. The drive end of the generator was given and extensive overhaul in 2014
12 Volt Service (main engine & generator start):
• 2 4D Rolls 12 volt engine start batteries 2014
• True Charge 40 battery charger
• 90 amp alternator
• Group 31 generator start battery 2014
32 Volt House/General Service:
• Distribution panel with breakers
• Amp & Volt meters
• 4 8 volt Rolls batteries in series 2015
• 150 amp alternator
• 2 Newmar 25 amp 3 phase battery chargers
220/110 Volt AC:
• Distribution panel with breakers
• Volt & Amp meters
• 50 amp shore power inlet
• 50' 50 amp shore power cord
• Water heater
• Battery Chargers (as noted above)
• Engine room lighting
Robustly constructed of aluminum plating on aluminum frames with aluminum house and decks with welded on and faired aluminum rub rail. All above the waterline surfaces are Awlgrip done by Morris Yachts at the end of a 3 year refit in 2001 and have been carefully maintained flag blue hull with white Boot Top. On deck the houses and waterways are white with light gray nonskid in appropriate areas. All exterior trim is teak and is kept nicely varnished.
A Custom hard top enclosure was built for the cockpit in 2000 and provides 6'-7" headroom under, new canvas enclosure in 2014. This space was further improved by adding an Allcraft "bus type" heater.
Wide side decks with double stainless steel stanchions & lifelines bow and stern rails with gates P&S. Dog house with scuttle to forward stateroom forward along with a storage locker for secondary anchor and other small loose items. Custom stainless ladder to access the main, large lazarette.
• Ideal 32 volt windlass rebuilt in 2014
• 75 lb Rocna Plow with 250' 3/8" chain
• 90 lb CQR stows in locker fwd. 200' + rode
• 100 lb Fisherman with 200'+ rode
• Salt water wash down forward
• Fresh water wash down aft
• Cockpit cushions
• 12 Type I PFDs
• 10 harnesses with tethers
• 4 fire extinguishers
• Flare Kit
• 4 fenders with covers and 6 braided docklines
• Older but sound 9' Caribe Rib and 9 HP 2 stroke Mercury outboard
NOTLUF (ex SERENA, ex. SHOHOLA) is a beautifully built and cared for custom S&S 59' center cockpit ketch rigged motor sailor. Her current owners purchased her in the Pacific Northwest where she had been cruised by owners #2; (Her first owners kept her in the Northeast and cruised routinely). After a year long cruise back to the northeast she was hauled and given an extensive overhaul over three years which included every single system, hose wire, being replaced rebuilt etc. as appropriate. A complete analysis of her hull and deck plating was done with any places that were at all questionable being removed, new sections installed and doubled. Her then aging teak decks were removed and then when all the work was done she was Awlgripped from boot stripe to house top.
She has been maintained to that standard ever since and while there has been no need for a extensive re-fit; routine extensive use as well as care by the owners have kept her in tip top condition throughout. During their tenure the current owners have cruised her throughout the Northeast and Canadian Maritimes and late in the season taken her to the Bahamas where they have generally moored in Hopetown for the winter cruising north again in late spring.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.