1988 Jarvis Newman 46' (14.02 m)
Marblehead, Massachusetts, United States
Beautifully maintained and upgraded since new the Jarvis Newman 46, finished by Lyman Morse in 1988 is a one owner boat. With her 2 stateroom, galley down layout she provides gracious accommodations for the owners and guests.
- Fiberglass Hull
- HIN/IMO: JNY46060F787
Handsomely finished interior, done in the Herreshoff Style, in a 2 stateroom galley down layout with varnished teak trim on white flat panels. The soles are varnished teak and holly. There is abundant natural light and ventilation with 6 opening ports, 3 large hatches, 2 dorades and a wheelhouse surrounded with windows. All opening ports hatches and some windows with screens. There is 12 volt lighting throughout with dome lamps and decorative side lamps near areas where one would read. When the natural ventilation is insufficient there is reverse cycle air conditioning (heats & cools) in all spaces. Headroom is 6'-4" in the Salon, 6'-6" in the galley and Master Stateroom and 7'+ in the guest stateroom forward.
One enters the Main Salon from the centerline door aft. To port is a 6'-6" L-shaped settee with storage under. Dining is from a varnished teak drop leaf pedestal table which easily accommodates 6. Forward of the settee is a large bureau with drawers and locker.. To starboard is a new 2022 leather queen sized sofa that pulls out to convert to a double bert.. Aft of that is storage in lockers and drawers
Down 3 steps (with storage under) and to port is the extended U-shaped Galley featuring White Formica counter tops with double basin stainless steel sink. Storage is found in a number of drawers and lockers as well as in shelving with dividers outboard. A full sized Norcold dual voltage refrigerator freezer unit easily handles all chilled food stuffs while a Stainless steel Force 10 4 burner propane stove with oven manages the cooking.
Immediately to starboard is the Owner's Stateroom which features a raised double berth outboard. There are 4 deep cargo drawers below the berth as well as a small bureau/night stand with storage inboard. Forward and outboard is a large hanging locker. Access to the Owner's Head is at the forward bulkhead. This head is fitted with a separate stall shower as well a vanity outboard with Formica counter and porcelain sink and Techma electric fresh water W.C. plumbed via a Y valve to the holding tank.
Proceeding forward from the galley one finds the Guest Stateroom fitted with a V type berth below which there are deep cargo drawers and above which the hull is lined with varnished trim and a storage shelf and locker. All the way forward, between the berth is a small dressing seat with storage under above which there is a hanging locker. Adjacent to the starboard V is a night table height locker. The Guest Head is just aft of the stateroom and is fitted with an electric Techma fresh water W.C. and large vanity providing ample storage and a porcelain sink.
Like the exterior, the interior is beautifully appointed and equally as nicely maintained.
- Alpine Am/FM/CD Stereo, speakers in Salon
- Chelsea black finished clock & barometer
- 3 Hela turbo fans
- Smoke and CO detectors
- Salon sole and trim all re-varnished 1/1/23
BOUNDER is fully equipped for coastal cruising at the flying bridge.
- Raymarine autopilot 2017
- Apelco VHF
- Ritchfield 10 HP retractable bow thruster control
- Ritchie 6" magnetic compass
- Dual trumpet Air horn
- Morse engine controls
- ACR EPIRB
- 2 Raymarine E-15 color radar/chart plotter 2017
- Raymarine autopilot 2017
- Raymarine 4kw radar scanner 2017
- Raymarine depth (incorporated into E-15) 2017
- Raymarine 210 VHF
- Ritchfield hydraulic bow thruster control
- Ritchie 6" magnetic
- Dual trumpet air horn
- Morse engine controls
A single fresh water cooled 800 HP, Caterpillar Diesel, 3406E showing 2765 hours as of Feb 1, 2023 turns a 5 bladed nibral propeller on a 2-1/2" shaft through a Twin Disc 2:1 reduction gear. The shaft reduction gear and prop were all new in 2005.
Performance observed at time of sea trial with broker:
Speed RPM Fuel Eng. Load
9.4 knots 1180 RPM 7 GPH 38%
17.4 knots 2050 RPM 28 GPH 75%
20.0 knots 2300 RPM 35 GPH 100% (wide open throttle)
- Caterpillar Marine Power Display at both stations
- PYI Dripless shaft seal 2021
- Fireboy manual/automatic engine room fire suppression serviced 2021
- Spare propellor
- All bronze thru hulls
- Dual Racor fuel filters 2019
- Oil change system for engine, gear and generator 2019
- Spur cutter on shaft
- 12 volt engine room lighting
- New fresh water pump 2019
- 3 electric bilge pumps with high level alarms 2020
- 1 manual bilge pump
- Fuel transfer pump
- Ritchfield hydraulic retractable Thruster 10 HP bow thruster
- Tankwatch 2000 holding tank monitor
- Macerator pump new 2022
- Heart Tank Tender for fuel and water tanks
- Fuel tanks flushed and cleaned 2021 and fuel polished
- New Techma fresh water heads 2016
- All new waste hoses 2010 some replaced again with head change out 2016
- New Seafrost 12 volt evaporator plate refrigeration for both freezer and refrigeration boxes 2017
- 3 reverse cycle air conditioning units totaling 48,000 BTUs
Wired for both 12 volt DC and 115 volt AC service. A remanned 12.5 kw Westerbeke generator showing 750 hours as of 2/1/23 was installed in 2019 and provides heavy load AC service off the dock while a 2500 watt Mastervolt inverter/charger installed in 2016 handles lighter loads. 350 watt solar panels were installed in 2016 and keep the 12 volt system sufficiently charged when at anchor or on a mooring using refrigeration and light hotel loads e.g. lighting for over 3 days
12 Volt DC
- Distribution panel with breakers
- Volt & Amp meters
- 3 8D Lifeline AGM house/inverter batteries 2021
- 1 8D Lifeline AGM battery engine start 2020
- Group 31 generator start battery new 2016
- 2 110 amp alternators one of which was rebuilt 2022
115 Volt AC
- Distribution panel with breakers
- Volt & Amp meters
- 50 amp shore power connections P&S in cockpit
- 12 115 amp outlets
- 20 gallon hot water heater (also engine supplied) 2022
- Mastervolt 2500 Watt inverter 2016 also has 100 amp battery charger
- 2 50' 50 amp shore power cords 2009
- Misc. splitters and adapters
Hull & Deck
Solid fiberglass hull Awlgripped Flag Blue with White boot top in 2003. Fiberglass spray and quarter rails capped with stainless half round. Fiberglass house and side decks with closed Turmanto foam coring Awlgripped from the rail to the house top in Matterhorn White in 2008 with Moondust Awgrip with Griptex in appropriate non-skid areas, on decks. As part of the 2008 painting all ports, hatches, other hardware, teak brow etc removed and re-bedded, also al new wheelhouse windows at that time. All brightwork has been stripped and refinished in 2019 and is in excellent condition. The cockpit decking is app 5/8" teak glued down over a structural fiberglass deck and in 2019 had all seams reefed out and fresh thiokol laid, all fastening re-set and . The cockpit deck and salon structural deck are marine grade plywood over wood timbers. the cockpit has multiple layers of fiberglass over the plywood and then 5/8" teak deck while the salon plywood has a teak and holly veneer.
The full width cockpit provides ample main deck level entertaining, plenty of room for deck chairs. On centerline there is a voluminous lazarette and additional storage is found under the steps P&S. Wide side decks extend fore and aft with convenient hand holds leading forward to where the stainless safety rail overlaps the forward end of the house.
A gently sloped stainless steel ladder with teak treads leads to the flying bridge with L-shaped seating to starboard as well as the Arragoni Capt. and companion chairs 2016, easily seats 10. There is storage in lockers abaft the L-settee.
- Lighthouse 1501 all stainless anchor windlass with chain & rope drums. (heave up power only, release brake to drop anchor) removed and rebuilt 2020
- 45 lb CQRwith app. 200 of 3/8" chain
- 28 lb Danforth with 25' chain and 150' app. of rode
- Fresh and salt water wash downs in cockpit
- H&C faucet for cockpit shower/wash downs aft
- Molded fiberglass swim platform
- Transom door
- Stainless flip down swim ladder
- emergency tiller
- Weaver clip system for dinghy storage
- Flying bridge 3/4 length hard top with solar panels mounted atop
- New flying bridge enclosure 2019
- Textaline windshield screen 2019
- Dockside fresh water connection
- 8 Type II life preservers
- Lifering with line
- Flare Kit
- 4 5lb fire extinguishers
- Winslow 4 man liferaft in a valise 2019
- 4 fenders & 4 braided dock lines
- Flying bridge cushions
- Magma propane stainless grill 2016
- Decks and side of house from cap rail to the brow on the house re-Awlgripped in 2022
- All Matterhorn White in the cockpit re-Awlgripped 2022
- The low bulwark was re-Awlgripped on the exterior in 2021
Originally designed for open water commercial fishing, the Jarvis Newman 46 has a very capable hull form. It is what also makes a great foundation for a cruising yacht and approximately 45 of them were custom finished in a variety of configurations for that purpose. BOUNDER is the only one we know of that is still on her original loving owners.
The RIB and engine, personal possessions, orientals, and some art work do not convey. The name "BOUNDER" is expressly reserved and must be removed by the buyer.
LOA: 46' 2'' (14.07 Meters)
Type: Power- Used
Draft Min: 4' 6''
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Fuel Tank: 700 Gallons (2649.79 Liters)
Fresh Water: 300 Gallons (1135.62 Liters)
Holding Tank: 40 Gallons (151.42 Liters)
Ballast Weight: 2000 lbs
Photos click to view all
- Engine Make: Detroit
- Engine Model: Caterpillar
- Engine Year: 1989
- Drive Type: Direct
- Power HP: 800.00
- Power KW: 596.56
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Hours: 2585.00
Engine and generator hours are as of the date of the original listing and are a representation of what the listing broker is told by the owner and/or actual reading of the engine hour meters. The broker cannot guarantee the true hours. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or his agent to verify engine hours, warranties implied or otherwise and major overhauls as well as all other representations noted on the listing brochure.
Want more information?
Rob grew up on the coast of Maine where he began sailing at the age of 8 through a local yacht club program. He learned many important lessons about teamwork in those early days of sailing turnabouts and 420’s. Later he would become an instructor with that same program teaching kids and adults the joys of day sailing and racing. After graduating from college in 2002 he then moved to Annapolis Maryland and began his career as a yacht broker specializing in the sale of blue water trawlers and sailboats.
Upon his return to Maine in 2013 he opened a satellite office for a brokerage based in Newport at Handy Boat Service in Falmouth. Here he oversaw the sale of both new and used boats with an emphasis on cruising sailboats. In 2017 Rob joined the team at East Coast Yacht Sales in their Yarmouth office where he continues to develop and hone his abilities to coordinate custom boat builds and facilitate smooth transactions for both buyers and sellers on the brokerage market.