1985 J Boats 34' (10.36 m)
Fall River, Massachusetts, United States
This is a well-maintained J Boat. A recent survey is available to qualified buyers.
- Fiberglass Hull
- HIN/IMO: TSP40023G585
This is a well-maintained J Boat. A recent survey is available to qualified buyers
The J-34 is known for its excellent sailing characteristics and race/cruising capabilities. Minx has been meticulously maintained over her years and is in excellent condition. She has had recent upgrades at International Marine including Awlgrip in 2018. This boat is a must-see. Showings by appointment only
LOA: 34' (10.36 Meters)
Type: Sail- Used
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Photos click to view all
The Interior is finished with oiled teak and holly the main cabin throughout with varnished teak and in the forward cabin. The Interior is in excellent condition.
Starting forward is the V-berth for two.
Aft and to port is the head which can be accessed from the v berth and main cabin. Storage above and below sink and outboard. The Head is equipped with Y valve and holding tank.
The main cabin is next aft and features port and starboard settee berths Storage is found behind and above the berth's backs. An aft-facing nav station is situated on the starboard side
Pipe berths included fore and aft
The Galley is to port and is equipped with a 2 burner Force 10 More storage is found outboard and below.
- 12 Volt (DC) 2 Batteries with parallel switch
- 65 amp OEM alternator
- Batteries: 1-27 Series Wet Cell, 1-24 Series Wet Cell
- Stainless Bow and Stern pulpit with rails side stanchions with lifelines
- Swim ladder
- Port and Starboard gates
- Updated Toilet
- Dock lines
- Fortress FX-11 Anchor with chain and rode
Sails and Rigging
- Aluminum Spar stepped on the keel
- Main sail (Clark Sails)
- 147% Roller Furler Genoa
- Rod Standing Rigging except for wire head stay
- Furlex jib roller Furler
- Boom Vang
- Whisker Pole
- Spinnaker Pole
Mechanical / Engine
- Volvo Penta 18 hp Diesel engine, Model 2002
- Volvo engine with unknown hours
- Manual bilge pump
- Automatic Whale Glulper bilge pump
- Holding Tank (bladder)
- Water Tank 20 gallon (Plastic)
- 2 Bladed Max Pro prop
- Richie 4" bulkhead compass on bulkhead
- Garman EchoMap 50s GPS
- Standard Horizon Quest DSC VHF radio
- Raymarine ST60 Speed meter
- Raymarine ST60 Depth
- Raymarine ST60 Wind
Imporovements since purchased
- Initial engine inspection with repair/replacements as needed: impellers, filters, belts, hoses, heat exchanger descaled, propeller serviced, tiller bearing inspected/serviced, cutlass bearing replaced, shaft/engine alignment
- Throttle/gear shifter replaced at the cockpit
- Soft deck core areas cut/repaired, non-skid re-surface full deck
- Furlex 204S installed including forestay (replaced rod rigging forestay good condition and goes with the boat)
- Raymarine auto-tiller S2000 installed
- Starter replaced '21
- New Harken ST46 winches installed '21.
- House battery replaced 2021, starter battery replaced 2016
- Genoa, 147% good-very good
- Misc sails that came with the boat
- Full manuals operation, repair, parts
- USCG Documentation just renewed for 5 years
- Bottom painted 2 coats in '22, Sea Hawk Biocop self-polishing
Work done at International Marine when purchased
- Work completed in 2018
- Remove jib tracks, chain plate covers, and chain plates. Moisture removed, re-cored, painted and rebedded
- Rudder stock area opened and reconditioned
- Prop and cutlass bearing removed, engine realigned, and reinstall bearing, shaft and prop
- Complete deck and cockpit repaired and repainted
- Invoice available to qualified buyers
Engine and generator hours are as of the date of the original listing and are a representation of what the listing broker is told by the owner and/or actual reading of the engine hour meters. The broker cannot guarantee the true hours. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or his agent to verify engine hours, warranties implied or otherwise and major overhauls as well as all other representations noted on the listing brochure.
The company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change or withdrawal without notice.
Want more information?
Tim Kohl has spent most of his life on the water. As a youth he grew up fishing the waters of the St Lawrence River. In high school he worked for a master marine carpenter doing wood repairs and caught the bug to go sailing.
A degree from Rochester Institute of Technology in Printing Management served him well in his early career as a manager. From there, he ran printing plants. Then moving into the high tech imaging equipment sales and custom software solutions to national accounts like General Dynamics Marine, Honda, Bombardier and UTC.
Thirty years ago he was exposed to salt water sailing and fishing and never looked back.
A USCG Captain’s license and over 720 documented days at sea have allowed him exposure to great adventures offshore and around the buoys. His passion is to be at sea; racing sail boats, around the buoys and off shore, and offshore fishing.
A sailing racer for over 25 years, he has sailed in Newport, Long Island Sound, Maine, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami, Key West, Charleston, and Annapolis. During that time he has crewed in numerous J 105 and J 109 North American championships with two firsts and two seconds overall.
As resident of Newport Rhode Island, Tim lives in a community that feeds his passions.
Tim’s knowledge of the sea and boats – both sail and power and his sales professionalism creates a pleasant and informative buying or selling experience for his clients. He is a great resource to his clients.